What Ails Prasar Bharati Corporation
- Crucial posts of members (finance) and member (personnel) remain vacant
- 80 per cent vacancies in programming
- Even viewers in villages have ditched Doordarshan for private broadcasters
- Global broadcasters spend 70 per cent of their budget on programming. DD and AIR spend less than 15 per cent on programming and content
- 90 cent of TV-owning households access cable and satellite systems. Prasar Bharati is saddled with terrestrial transmission that no one watches.
- No recruitments, no promotions and 31,621 staff, making it the third largest employer after railways and defence
It was the last week of April. The UPA was in power but beginning to seem doomed. The election air across the country was rippling with Narendra Modi’s campaign. An interview with the opposition BJP’s candidate for prime ministership was a snatch any channel would have...