- Cricket decisively became the premier sport in India
- Indian money poured into cricket. One-Day Internationals became popular, attracting huge sponsorship.
- The subcontinent, over the years, became the centre of world cricket
- There was a TV boom, which over the years has taken player salaries and endorsement monies to stratospheric heights
- The World Cup was hosted in the subcontinent in 1987, and again in 1996
***Halfway through the 1983 World Cup finals at Lord's, the vast majority of Indians believed the fate of their team mirrored that of lambs to the slaughter. India, riding on what was a crackling campaign, including a league win against the champions West Indies, had fizzled out. The stage was too big, they had set the mighty Caribs, boasting a line-up of serial bombers with the bat, a paltry target of 184 in 60 overs. A third title in a row was theirs for the asking. But Balwinder Singh...