Why India Is Miffed...
- The superbug was named after New Delhi
- The Lancet article asked patients not to travel to India for medical care; this could cost India dear
- The sample size of the survey was very small
- The article linked the spread of NDM-1 bearing strains to the Indian subcontinent
- The study was funded by two pharma companies—Wellcome Trust and Wyeth
- But health experts say we should look at drug-resistant strains more seriously and stop squabbling
It’s a discovery that is not going down well with the Indian healthcare system. A report in medical journal Lancet on the discovery of a new superbug in India has sparked off a war of words between the medical community in the UK and that in India. The quarrel, of course, is over the quality of healthcare in the country. The Indian healthcare industry fears the hype about the new drug-resistant bacteria will...