Doctors say urban Indians are flocking to clinics and hospitals with a large number of suspected food allergies.
Common causes of allergies
Tea, coffee, chocolate, colas, alcohol, sugar, sweets, cereals, meats, eggs, fish, dust, cosmetics, chicken, tobacco, milk, cheese, butter, smoked/salted/pickled foods, sea foods, chemical additives, preservatives and flavouring.
- Allergy to wheat is the most common among adult urban Indians
- In children, milk, eggs and peanuts generally cause allergies.
- The anti-allergy drug market has doubled in size from 10 years ago.
- Changing food habits and lifestyle are the main culprits.
Cures And Prevention
- Be alert to symptoms like headache, dizziness, nervousness, sneezing, eczema, hay fever, indigestion, constipation, diarrhoea, stuffy or runny nose, shortness of breath
- Immediately avoid food that caused a previous allergic reaction; get...