The five challenges before Nawaz Sharif
- With PPP winning Sindh and PTI the tribal areas, Sharif’s PML(N) will have to strive to avoid the charge of ‘Punjabi’ domination he has always faced
- Has to deftly choose a new chief justice after Ifthikar Chaudhry to avoid a run-in with a newly assertive judiciary
- Army chief Gen Kayani’s tenure ends this year. Who gets to be his successor will decide ties with the army.
- Other than Kashmir, India’s role in Afghanistan after the US pullout in 2014 has been added to the menu of Indo-Pak relations
- Attracting foreign aid to tide over Pakistan’s economic challenges means cosying up to the US.
“Believe me, I want peace with India. Let’s forget the history of wars and tensions and bitterness. Let’s have talks to sort out the issues and create an atmosphere of trust,” Nawaz Sharif told me when I interviewed...