Babri Masjid: As It Happened
The Ram Janmabhoomi dispute winding its way down to the VHP, the demolition, the Liberhan Commission’s 17-year probe and, finally, the Allahabad HC verdict
- 1528 Babar builds a masjid in Ayodhya.
- 1853 Hindus claim mosque built on Ramjanmabhoomi site. First incidents of communal violence reported.
- 1859 The British fence the site, allow Muslims into the inner court, Hindus in the outer one.
- 1949 Ninety years later, idols of Ram appear inside the mosque. Both Hindus and Muslims file civil suits. The Government declares the site as disputed, locks the gates.
- 1984 A movement to build a Ram temple and ‘liberate’ his birthplace at the site grows, led by the VHP and BJP leader L.K. Advani.
- 1986 When a district judge allows Hindus to worship at the disputed site, the Babri Masjid Action Committee is formed to protest against the...