Shape Of Trains To Come
- Double-decker AC coaches slated on major routes
- High-speed trains with additional safety systems
- Green toilets, international-standard dining cars
- Book-a-meal facility online; Wi-Fi/Internet service
- Emergency medical facilities and doctor on board
In her budget speech last year, Mamata Banerjee had promised to introduce new double-decker AC coaches and trains with modern amenities like international-standard dining cars. The Union railways minister is living up to her promise even though the new coaches will debut in her home state, West Bengal, a gift for the 2011 assembly polls. Eight coaches of this new, futuristic train developed by the Rail Coach Factory (RCF) in Kapurthala are ready and will make their way to Dhanbad from where they will begin operations to Calcutta in the second week of November.
“This is India’s first AC double-decker train and has...