Fallouts Of The Big Move
- Walmart is expected to bring its global systems into Flipkart and increase operational efficiencies
- Walmart’s private labels may be available to Indian consumers through Flipkart
- Consumers will gain, as they will get a larger selection online
- Competition between Amazon and Walmart-Flipkart may benefit consumers, as both will compete to woo buyers with special offers
- The e-retailers are likely to continue with deep discounting; Amazon to win over more customers and Walmart to justify its $16 billion acquisition
- Walmart’s focus on online grocery retail may bring in a new class of online buyers. Consumers are likely to benefit from good deals.
The battle lines have been clearly drawn in the Indian e-commerce sector. With Walmart acquiring 77 per cent stake in the country’s largest homegrown e-commerce company Flipkart for $16 billion, the stage has...