- The verdict in the Sabarmati Express fire at Godhra on February 27, 02, was delivered after nine years on February 22
- Of the accused, 63 acquitted, 31 convicted
- Alleged mastermind Maulana Umarji is acquitted
- State government claims the verdict proved that the riots were triggered by a conspiracy hatched by Muslims in Godhra
- Many believe that members of the minority community were picked up and targeted in order to justify the post-Godhra riots
At the national level, the BJP would obviously be wary of engaging with the issue of Godhra and the Gujarat riots. This became clear on February 22—the day the special court gave the judgement on the burning of the Sabarmati Express. The national media collected for the daily BJP briefing in Parliament some hours after the verdict was given, tea and snacks were served, but no spokesperson came to meet the media. For the usually loquacious...