Why Bail For 2G Accused?
- Main investigation over, first chargesheet filed way back in April, trial likely to be long
- “Tampering with evidence” charge vague; stringent bail conditions can be set to
- “Gravity of offence” may not be tenable ground to deny bail
- Economic crimes not on par with murder, terrorism
- Detention shouldn’t be used as a substitute for punishment
“When Krishna Iyer said ‘bail not jail’, it was in the context of the poor people—adivasis, Dalits, the destitute—who are victims of the criminal justice system. How can the same rule apply to manipulators of the system who will interfere with the investigation if freed?”
—Human rights lawyer, Colin Gonsalves
“Krishna Iyer never said ‘bail not jail’ was...