Clumsy Dance Steps
- Leela Samson resigned on April 12
- Her age is cited as the cause, but well-wishers say vested interests, jealous alumni played a part
- Strong-willed nature may have created discord, but the artistic community says she breathed new life into Kalakshetra
- C.S. Thomas, an ex-teacher, filed PIL challenging hires that she made
- CAG report claims irregularities and excessive spending. Supporters say this happened because she had no administrative support.
- She’s the last of the Kalakshetra’s great dancers. Who is next?
What the world saw of Kalakshetra was the sprawling idyll, where classes in music and dance were held in sylvan surroundings. But within the gates, as aptly illustrated by the abrupt resignation of Kalakshetra Foundation director Leela Samson on April 12, there was an interplay of intrigue and power politics. There are disgruntled teachers and...