- Thousands rendered jobless in Bangladesh after Lilliput Kidswear fails to pay $4 million to factories
- Rana Plaza housed a unit, New Wave, that was outsourced work by an Indian supplier of Benetton
- Tung Hai Sweater Ltd, where a fire killed eight, produced garments for Indian buyers
- As imports from Bangladesh rise, Indian buyers are being asked to ensure they or their partners don’t abuse workers’ rights
- India imported $57.51 million worth of garments from Bangladesh between July 2012-March 2013
Jamal Hossain, owner of a garment factory in Dhaka, was a pleased man when he bagged repeated orders worth several hundreds of thousands of dollars from Indian kidswear retail giant Lilliput. He had been paid around $600,000 between 2010 and 2011. That dream run soured in September 2011 when Lilliput, because of poor fiscal management, failed to pay $277,000 for the winterwear Jamal’s workers had stitched....