Law Of The Jungle
- In an August 8 rally in Belpahari, in Paschim Medinipur, farmer Shiladitya Chowdhury accuses CM Mamata Banerjee of “making false promises to poor people”
- An enraged Mamata calls him a ‘Maoist’, orders his arrest. The police release him later that day.
- They pick him up two days later, slap him with unbailable charges
- State human rights commission recommends Rs 50,000 compensation to Ambikesh Mahapatra and Subrata Sengupta, who were arrested after allegedly circulating a cartoon
featuring Mamata. Probe suggested against police officers too.
- Mamata says judiciary is corrupt, judgements are ‘purchased’, and that judicial commissions serve no purpose
“She has bitten the hand that feeds her. And she has bitten more than she can chew.” The words of Tilak Chowdhury—elder brother of Shiladitya Chowdhury, the farmer who was branded ‘Maoist’ by...