The Socialist’s Path
- Born in Lisbon in 1961, Antonio Luis Santos da Costa is of Goan origin. His father spent most of his youth in the former Portuguese colony in India.
- In 1991, Costa became member of the Portuguese parliament, presenting as many as 20 law projects
- He was secretary of state from 1995 to 1997 and minister of parliamentary affairs (1997-99); organised Expo 98 which turned out to be a great success
- From October 1999 to April 2002, served as justice minister
- From June 2004 to March 2005, he was a member of the European parliament and was also elected as one of its 14 vice-presidents
- In 2007, he was elected mayor of Lisbon. He’s in his third term now.
- Since 2008, Costa has participated every Thursday in Quadratura do Circulo, a TV show where he debates current affairs with two right-wing politicians
In the political spectrum of Portugal, Antonio Luis Santos da Costa is a rare bird,...