Why Varun Gandhi may have fallen out of favour
- Not in the good books of PM Narendra Modi and party chief Amit Shah
- Considered indisciplined, high-handed and arrogant
- Does not respect party decisions and rules
- Unpopular with colleagues and grassroots workers
- Considered extremely ambitious and brazen
- Party leaders feel he must be taught a lesson
A little over 10 years ago, Feroze Varun Gandhi, then aged 24, was inducted into the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). This was considered a coup. For this was the son of Sanjay Gandhi, whom the BJP had fiercely opposed during the Emergency. Not only was Varun a prize catch for being the son of a long deceased foe, he was a wicket down for the Nehru-Gandhi family. His mother Maneka Gandhi had joined the BJP before him, but nevertheless, his signing up shattered once again the public notion associating the Nehru-Gandhi family exclusively with the...