Here’s how the campaign against north Indians has impacted political parties in Maharashtra:
- Shiv Sena: Fears its Maharashtrian base will be lost to Raj Thackeray if it persists with its all-inclusive stand. But it risks losing the non-Maharashtrian voter if it returns to sons-of-soil politics.
- Congress: Feels it scored by "acting tough" against Raj. This could consolidate north Indian votes in its favour. But the allegation is the Congress-NCP
government acted too late.
- BJP: Its traditional voter base is likely not to be affected. But the party will have to bear with the fallout on its alliance partner, Shiv Sena. The party was careful to make the right noises in Delhi.
- NCP: Can claim credit for Raj’s arrest since it
handles home. But it can also deflect responsibility of the action to alliance partner Congress should it play the regional identity card.
- Samajwadi Party: Hopes to cash in on north Indian polarisation...