- Hardik Patel’s agitation for OBC status to Patels has drifted into violence
- Other OBC groups and SC/STs are threatening to oppose the Patels, on the streets if necessary
- Patels, on the contrary, are planning to take the debate national, calling for a rethink on reservation per se
- The consequences could be dangerous, with groups like Jats and Gujjars already demanding reservations
- Anandiben has a tough problem on hand, going beyond the forthcoming local self-government elections
- Nationally, the debate could prove volatile. The situation is fraught with complexities that may spin out of control.
A cartoon in the Indian Express said it all: Amit Shah in caricature, being told that he had promised to make a Gujarat out of Bihar and had instead made a Bihar out of Gujarat. Indeed, an agitation for caste-based reservations by the...