Where The Buck Stops
- Bright, cogent and articulate, thinks in paragraphs; made for TV
- Immaculate in his understanding of issues; meticulous in his ministerial demeanour; brisk despite his 65 years
- Proactive approach, unlike predecessor Shivraj Patil, that has seen near-zero terror strikes since 26/11
- Appeals to urban, English middle-class audiences who want "action"
- Handles complex issues like relief package for Bhopal victims with ease
And Where It Doesn’t
- Seen by colleagues, compatriots as intellectually superior but arrogant, with an eye on the main chance
- Congress tongues wag at his political detour to Tamil Maanila Congress and the support he elicits from BJP
- "My way or the highway" attitude on issues like Naxalism and Chinese security fears etc sparks rows with ministerial colleagues
- Cultivates sections of Delhi media to get...