Close For Comfort?
- Pranab Mukherjee has shown himself to be an interventionist
- His defence of his tenure as FM after P. Chidambaram blamed it can be said to borderline on propriety
- He was apparently in the mood to return the government’s ordinance to protect convicted lawmakers
- He has had meetings with Modi at Raisina Hill, and Mamata in Calcutta
- It’s being asked if he sees himself as performing a political role
Relations between the chief executive and the first citizen in Rashtrapati Bhavan have mostly been cordial and answering to the textbook requirement of being grounded in consultation and cooperation. But there have been cold war phases and games of brinkmanship too. Right from Rajendra Prasad, each occupant of Rashtrapati Bhavan has tried to interpret the president’s role according to his or her understanding of the Constitution. The process has also been influenced by their varied personalities. Prasad...