What The Polls Are Saying
At least three polls are predicting a win for Nawaz Sharif
- Heinrich Boll Foundation (Mar): Majority for PPP
- Gallup Pakistan (Feb): PML(N) to secure more votes than others
- Herald-SDPI (Feb): PPP 29%, PML(N) 25%, PTI 20%, MQM 4.2%
- Public Judgement Online Poll (Jan): PTI 225 seats
- IRI (Nov 2012): PML(N) 32%, PTI 18%, PPP 14%
How Pakistan Votes
- The electoral system: Like India, Pakistan has a parliamentary system of democracy where members are elected through the first-past-the-post system. A Pakistani national who has attianed 18 years of age is eligible to vote.
- Total number of voters: 90 million, of which 40 million will be voting for the first time.
- Voter break-up: Punjab with 49,229,334 has the...