Did Pranab ‘Fix’ Chidambaram?
The theory doing the rounds in Congress circles runs something like this:
- When the March 25, 2011, backgrounder on the 2G scam was sent by the finance ministry to the PMO, ex-telecom minister A. Raja had already been arrested
- Given the nature of the scam, it's impossible that Pranab Mukherjee would have run a casual eye through the note. He says the objectionable inference wasn’t his. Then whose was it?
- The controversial observation that PC could have prevented the scam if he had insisted on auctioning spectrum comes on page 10 of the 11-page note
- Did Pranab Mukherjee, who has a history of differences with Chidambaram, deliberately allow this observation to pass?
- Did he factor in that once Chidambaram's name was dragged in and he is forced to resign, the next target of the opposition would be the prime minister?