A Brief History Of The Lithium Ion Battery
- 1980 John B Goodenough and Koichi Mizushima develop lithium cobalt oxide as a new cathode material for high energy density batteries
- 1991 Sony brings out the world’s first commercial lithium-ion battery. The li-ion is smaller than a nickel-metal hydride battery, but has higher capacity.
- 1994 Motorola’s MicroTAC Elite becomes first mobile phone to use a li-ion battery
- 2006 Sony announces worldwide recall of its li-ion batteries, following reports of over-heating and fires
- 2008 Tesla Roadster became the first serial production all-electric car to use li-ion batteries
- 2017 Tesla announces it will build a 100-MW energy storage facility in South Australia—the largest such project in the world, billed to power over 30,000 homes