- It all started with ‘Hostel Nights’, during which male and female residents are allowed to bring guests to their hostel rooms
- Students raised a ruckus over rules such as keeping doors open and not having more than 2 guests
- This escalated into a war over safety rules for women, some of which were seen as excessive, and some as downright silly
- Male escorts were to be provided; women were to carry whistles
- Leaked e-mails from faculties containing sexist and homophobic comments added to the fire
Students call it moral policing. Teachers say it’s only about maintaining decency and decorum. A new roster of do’s and don’ts for students imposed last month has roiled the campus at one of the country’s premier educational institutions, the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT-Madras). It all began with an annual campus ritual called ‘Hostel...