Chronicle Of Death
- Aug 27 Death of a Muslim youth and two Jat brothers in Kawaal village over alleged molestation of the boys’ sister
- Aug 27 night Muzaffarnagar DM Surendra Singh, a Jat himself, and SSP Manjil Singh, married to a Jat Sikh, transferred. Officials and locals say this was the state govt’s first big mistake.
- Aug 30 Muslims meet at Shahid Chowk in Muzaffarnagar post- Friday prayers despite Section 144 CrPC even as Jat and some khap leaders meet in Lisadh village
- Aug 31 First panchayat by khaps and Hindu leaders in Nagla Mandor
- Sep 5 Muzaffarnagar observes successful bandh, supported by Jats and other communities.
- Sep 7 More than 50,000 people gather at Nagla Mandor for mahapanchayat. Riots hit Muzaffarnagar. Last for close to 36 hours.
- Sep 8 Violence spreads to neighbouring districts. Army called in. Curfew imposed.