Spurt In Danger
- 28 lakh is the annual number of new TB patients in India
- 27 per cent of the world’s TB cases are found in India
- Rs 4,343 crore is governmental allocation for fighting TB as per an ambitious five-year plan
- 1.68 lakh people are effected by multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis every year
- 4.23 lakh deaths occur due to TB every year in India
- 40 per cent of people in India have latent TB bacteria
At age 18, she weighed just 24 kg. The Patna girl’s family had been running from pillar to post to find medicines for the disease she was identified with: drug-resistant tuberculosis (DRTB). The heart-rending news caught national attention in end-2016 when her father approached the judiciary, seeking treatment for Aarti (name changed) with medicine to which the government provides...