Denim Store India
- Arvind Mills, in 1995, launched the first Indian ready-to-stitch jeans, for consumers who were not accustomed to buying readymade products.
- India now makes 1 billion metres of denim each year.
- A Teknopak report estimated the Indian denim market at Rs 17,661 crore in 2015, which is pegged to touch Rs 27,200 crore by 2018.
- A quarter of denim made in India is used by local jeans brands, the rest of it is exported.
- In India, unbranded denim products dominate the market at around 60 per cent, the share of brands at 40 per cent.
- The key players in the domestic industry are Lee, Wrangler, Spykar, Pepe, Numero Uno. Pepe is said to have 25 per cent of the share.
These days, when it is fashionable to wear your nationalism on your sleeve, the newest accessory of swadeshi sentiment is evidently also another wearable commodity. And it comes in ‘satvik’ colours, in designs...