1. Left economists threaten to quit the Planning Commission over appointment of 15 foreign
experts: Foreign experts resign
2. Telecom minister Maran proposes strict conditions to stall the proposal to hike FDI in the sector : Issue still in a limbo
3. Aviation ministry pushes for a policy that’ll effectively stop foreign airlines from entering India.: Cabinet yet to decide
4. Hike in FDI cap in the insurance sector seems to be the holy cow as far as the Left is concerned: Likely to still go through
5. Little interest in selling off PSUs to private sector; but there’s a consensus on public sale: Few IPOs this year
Dr Manmohan Singh should learn from history about "Left power". In the 1950s, when India's economic planning was in its nascent stage, US president Dwight D. Eisenhower deputed Milton Friedman, rabid private-capital messiah, as an advisor to the Indian government. The appointment, prompted by Jawaharlal Nehru, was opposed and Friedman never...