The Slow Squeeze
- UPA bears down on NGOs critical of its pro-capital policies, threatens to freeze funds under FCRA
- Slaps sedition charges against protesters at Koodankulam
- Tries to ease Yogendra Yadav, an academican and AAP activist, out of the board of the UGC
- PM’s media advisor launches a Twitter offensive after an article by Pratap Bhanu Mehta
- Govt blocks 16 Twitter handles
There was a time when the UPA celebrated its connections with intellectuals and academicians, feted them and, despite their critical views, gave them space on advisory committees shaping and directing future policies of the government. They were respected, and so were their dissenting views. But that was some time ago. Now in decline, the UPA sees the entire world as its critic, the media as its foe. As for academicians with dissenting views—off with them.
When a controversy breaks out, it’s often quite difficult to pinpoint how and...