- He's the man behind the caretaker government in Bangladesh. The emergency was imposed on his directions.
- Was unknown even in his country. Keeps away from the limelight, is a devoted family man, loves to play golf.
- Became army chief in June 2005. Commissioned in 1975.
- Important assignments: Commanded infantry brigades, served with UN forces in Rwanda, was military advisor in the Bangladesh high commission in Islamabad.
- Did courses in Harvard University and the Centre for Security Studies, Hawaii.
- His agenda: Stamp out corruption, introduce electoral reforms, check Islamists, accord due recognition to national leaders like Mujibur Rahman
- Seized luxury cars. They are to be auctioned for raising money to build a hospital for the poor.
***When Bangladesh president Iajuddin Ahmed declared a state of emergency and appointed Fakhruddin Ahmed to...