Countdown To Suicide
- 2010 Madhorubhagan, a novel, is published
- 2013 Its English translation, One Part Woman, comes out
- Dec 26, 2014 Fringe groups and the RSS protest. The Kongu Vellala Gounder community, to which Murugan belongs, joins the protesters, saying his portrayal of Gounders is defamatory.
- Dec 28, 2014 Protests turn to a call for ban on the book.
- Jan 7, 2015 Murugan meets community members, agrees to drop references to where novel is set. But the call for the ban continues.
- Jan 13 Murugan announces on Facebook that ‘Perumal Murugan the writer is dead.’
- Jan 20 Progressive Writers and Artists Association moves Madras High Court in support of Murugan.
THIS ARTICLE IS PRICELESS...
To read this piece, and more such stories in India's most exciting and exacting magazine, plus get access to our 25-year archives goldmine, please subscribe.