- Protect A. Raja, DMK as well as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
- Absolve Raja/DoT officials of criminal offence; limit prosecution to procedural irregularities
- Make it impossible to get further revenue from 2G licences
- Benefit companies which got licences, help them escape any monetary penalties
- Set a precedent against future prosecutions in this case.
Like any competent lawyer, telecom minister Kapil Sibal stuck to a carefully calibrated brief. The problem, however, is the brief: defending the indefensible. Expectedly then, there have been waves of indignation ever since Sibal made a statement in early January declaring the 2G issue to be one of “procedural irregularities” primarily, and causing no loss to the exchequer.
In November, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) had announced that the nation lost a staggering Rs 1.76...