The Small And Big Of It
There are over 190 small parties in Uttar Pradesh registered with the Election Commission. Here are some of them who pose a challenge, even if minor, to the bigger ones:
- The Peace Party: Muslim-led formation seeking support of other communities. May cut into Congress, SP votebanks.
- All India Minorities Front: Claims to represent Muslim interests nationally, advocates negotiated solution to the Ayodhya issue
- Shoshit Samaj Dal: Represents Dalit and backward Muslims, also known as Pasmandas
- Apna Dal: The Kurmi interests. Has tied up with Peace Party.
- Rashtriya Lok Manch: Amar Singh’s party is furthering the cause of statehood for Poorvanchal and is bent on playing SP spoiler. Supported by actress Jaya Prada.
Too many cooks do spoil the political broth. As it is, in the...