Big Man’s Baby
- GIFT, Modi’s dream project for Gujarat, will be ready by 2016.
- Mumbai has lost its sheen as a business hub because of its shoddy infrastructure, slow bureaucratic processes
- The Bandra-Kurla complex has come a cropper owing to space shortage
- Maharashtra is now looking at developing the Thane-Belapur corridor
- But this will take time. Mumbai may have missed the big business bus.
In late April, Maharahstra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis was in Israel, seeking cooperation from Tel Aviv mayor Ron Huldai for creating smart cities. But Fadnavis’s appeal was in the looming shadow of another city-related battle, a losing one at that: holding on to International Financial Centre (IFC) status for Mumbai. It all began eight years ago, in June 2007—when being a chief minister must have been far from Fadnavis’s mind. As chief minister of Gujarat,...