A pro-poor, pro-farmer language dominates. Even if the the middle class, the BJP’s core constituency, is alienated.
- New National Health Protection Scheme to provide health insurance cover of Rs 5 lakh to 10 cr poor families
- 24 new medical colleges and hospitals, at least one in each state
- Rs 3,794 cr allocated for MSME sector as credit support, capital and interest subsidy on innovation
- Corporate tax on MSMEs with turnover of up to Rs 250 cr reduced from 30 per cent to 25 per cent
- Compulsory EPF contribution for women reduced from 12 per cent to 8 per cent for first three years
- Disinvestment target for 2018-19 set at Rs 80,000 cr
- No change in income tax. Standard deduction of Rs 40,000 to be reintroduced; medical, travel benefits to go
- Tax exemption on interest income, medical insurance, up to Rs 50,000 to benefit senior citizens
- Long-term capital gains tax on...