Much More Than Musical Chairs
- In 15 months, the Modi government has seen 3 home secretaries, 3 finance secretaries and two foreign secretaries
- R.P. Watal becomes the third finance secretary, after Arvind Mayaram and Rajiv Mehrishi, in the past 15 months
- Industry observers unhappy with slow pace of reforms. Such steps are to improve ease of doing business.
- Given lower GDP numbers, choppy markets, government is desperate to send a business-as-usual signal
- Land acquisition bill withdrawn; Labour reforms are stalled; GST and the real estate regulation bill languishing
- U-turn on MAT, and renewed efforts to talk up mood; is FinMin reshuffle part of a big-bang budget plan?
There’s palpable unease in this city of bureaucrats. While New Delhi still hasn’t digested the dramatic unseating of home secretary L.C. Goyal, the focus is shifting to why key...