Pawar’s Report Card
- Per capita availability of cereals and pulses has fallen in last eight years
- No improvement in irrigation, 60% of agriculture still dependent on monsoons
- Farmers growing cereals, sugarcane, oilseeds and pulses assured higher MSP, but majority don't benefit
- Production up, but not productivity. Farmer suicides are on the rise.
- Poor market advisory on exports being misused to buy cheaply from farmers and make profits overseas
- Pawar referred to as “sugar minister” for promoting sugar industry interests
- Big push to private seed companies is raising farm input costs with little hope of recouping expenses
- Pushed the boom in horticulture, fisheries, poultry. Has helped Indian farm sector chalk higher growth.
- Has ensured higher production in cotton, milk, fruits and vegetables