Education In Australia
- Indians account for one-fifth of the 4,15,000 foreign students in Australia
- More than half of these are in Victoria, whose capital Melbourne is where most of the recent attacks have been reported from
- Indian students are important for Australia's education sector, its third-largest export earner (after coal and iron) which generated Au $15.5 billion in 2008
- About 30 per cent of foreign students study in mainstream universities which have adequate security; others in smaller institutes, some mere shopfronts, are more vulnerable
- India needs to crack down on agents who lure students to enrol in shopfront institutes
***It’s incredible how the beast called racism suddenly springs out of nowhere, to feast on the non-white ‘outsider’, as it has been doing regularly in the past month in Australia. Ask 25-year-old Baljinder Singh, a Haryana lad come to study at the Australian Institute of...