Among the powers the PCI now wields are the following:
- Power to censure, warn and admonish on receipt of a complaint, after giving the publication a chance to be heard
- The same powers as a civil court to summon and enforce attendance, examine persons under oath
- Can direct publications to publish apology or particulars of an inquiry
- Lay down norms for reporting
- Besides, there are some 30 Acts governing the work of journalists
In these times when political estrangement is in fashion, Press Council of India (PCI) chairman Markandey Katju and MoS for Information and Broadcasting Manish Tewari make for compatible bedfellows. Within days of assuming office 18 months ago, the former Supreme Court judge had written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. On behalf of a statutory body created to “preserve the freedom of the press” and “maintain and improve the standards of newspapers and news...