- Is known for his over-the-top roles in Bollywood, like that of a eunuch in the forthcoming film Rajjo
- Won National Award for best director for Marathi version of Astitva
- Has directed serious plays on women’s issues. Current play Thashtha, on the tyranny of arranged marriage, is getting rave reviews
- Broke into the big league with Sanjay Gupta’s Kaante, a Reservoir Dogs remake, where he starred alongside Big B; played villain in Slumdog Millionaire
- Lives in Dadar but is contesting elections from the Juhu area
Mahesh Manjrekar is the baddie in most Salman Khan films. He has been a lecherous zamindar, a drunken no-gooder, a terrorist scheming to annihilate India, and has played some risque roles in adult comedies. He has also given Bollywood some critically acclaimed hits like Vaastav and Astitva. In Marathi cinema, however, the work he is most well-known for is Me Shivajiraje...