The Chakra Of Deceit
- VSNL sold by NDA government in 2002. Tatas given several favours.
- 773 acres of prime land held as surplus should have been demerged
- Tatas create several problems in the proposed separation of the land from VSNL
- Tata writes to Shourie suggesting land be given to VSNL after payment of a nominal price
The inability of the Arun Shourie-manned disinvestment ministry to demerge the 773.13 acres of surplus land from VSNL before its disinvestment landed the government in a complete mess. It owned a little over 51 per cent of the land and the rest belonged to a number of shareholders that included individuals, foreign institutional investors, banks and other corporate bodies. Now, caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place, it has three options:
- Try and demerge the land as originally envisaged into...