- Fifty years a legislator, five times CM. One of the tallest Tamil leaders.
- The most outspoken legatee of the Periyar movement
- Coming from the Isai-Vellalar community, has furthered OBC causes
- Has authored over 100 books, including commentaries on classical Tamil texts
- Has a clever understanding of alliance politics
***The Flop Side
- Has never encouraged inner-party democracy in the DMK. Has always run it as a one-man show.
- The fight for the DMK legacy has become purely a family issue
- Compromised his principles when he aligned with the BJP in 1999
- The DMK is today a poor imitation of the Congress. Dynasty rules right down to the district secretary level.
***Elected eleven times to the Tamil Nadu assembly, never having lost a single election, chief minister five times,...