- The nun was active in spreading awareness about central government schemes like NREGS and the RTI Act
- Sister Meena was helping the tribals with microfinance schemes
- The non-tribal community was angry as their business had been affected by the Sister's activities
- The Sister's organisation, Jan Vikas, had been targeted in the past
- A day before the rape incident, the nun had sought police protection. But the cops turned a blind eye to it.
***Was Sister Meena's rape just the actions of an anti-Christian mob gone wild? Or was the assault the dire consequence of the work the Sister was doing to empower women in the communally charged Kandhamal district in Orissa? According to reports, she was dragged out by a mob from the Divyajyoti Pastoral Centre, Nuagaon block, and raped on the afternoon of August 25. Eyewitnesses also say the cops, to whom the nun turned for help, did little to even prevent the mob...