- Has transformed the Tata Group into an international conglomerate
- Built domestic passenger car segment from zero, launched Nano
- Increased Tata Sons’ stakes in group COS; protected Tata brand
- Return on capital employed has dipped to about 10 per cent
- Over-reliance on TCS, Tata Motors makes group vulnerable
- Group reputation has taken hit after telecom scam, Radia tapes
That Ratan Tata had taken over from a titan like JRD in no way implies that Cyrus Mistry, in comparison, is in an enviable position. There’s no denying JRD made a tremendous contribution to India and to the Tata group. But it is Ratan Tata who has made the name stand out in the global marketplace under the microscopic scrutiny of shareholders, governments—domestic and foreign—and the media. It is expected that...