Ripple In The Tipple
- What Liquor syndicates bribe Andhra ministers, MLAs, police, excise, health officials and media. Total annual liquor trade is about Rs 50,000 crore, 60% of it illegal.
- How Much Bribes range from Rs 30 for a constable’s lunch to Rs 39 lakh for a minister
- Why To turn a blind eye to illegal vends in rural areas, smuggle in non-duty-paid liquor, operate beyond set hours, allow liquor shops to function as ‘bars’
- Loss Licensed shops obtain liquor from APBCL; of the cost, 70% goes to excise department. Illegal trade deprives exchequer of some Rs 5,000 crore per annum.
- How The scam was unearthed by ACB with a seizure of cash from an excise department vehicle.
- Who At least five ministers, 70 MLAs, 12 MPs said to be involved. Eight excise officials held so far.
- Where Scam found operating in 18 districts, including...