- Applicants have to go through as many as 4-6 meetings with committee members who assess suitability for membership
- Children are not allowed in the club's main buildings or dining room
- Especially difficult for politicians and filmstars to get membership
- Kurta-pyjama and Kolhapuri chappals not allowed
- Applicants must attend an 'at home' where committee members can size them up. Pak high commissioner could not attend; his membership held up
- Ayahs, members' domestic servants, cannot enter club buildings
- Dhotis only allowed on Poila Boisakh and Bijoy...