Period Pieces: Footprints Of The Raj
There are 1300 archaic laws which needs to scrapped/amended. Here are ten from the 1800s which still haunt us:
- Bengal Districts Act, 1836: The oldest existing law. Allows Bengal government unlimited number of new zilas.
- Rent Recovery Act, 1853: Severe on the tenant, but still in use.
- Indian Penal Code, 1860: Several committees have suggested changes. Most recommendations not implemented.
- The Police Act, 1861: Examined time and again. But no amendments have been made.
- The Sarais (shelter for travellers) Act, 1867: Still in use. Applies now to hotels and restaurants.
- The Press and Registration of Books Act, 1867: Some amendments made post-Independence, but the act is still used to harass publishers.
- The Evidence Act, 1872: Several attempts to bring about changes have failed.
- Indian Telegraph Act, 1885: Enacted almost a century before TV became common in...