What Do Muslim Women Want?
Key findings of the Bharatiya Muslim Mahila Andolan’s 2013 survey of 4,710 Muslim women in 10 states on reforms in the Muslim personal law
- 92.1% wanted a total ban on oral/unilateral divorce
- 85.7% wanted mehr to be given at the time of marriage
- 91.7% did not want their husbands to marry another woman while the first marriage continued
- 93% wanted arbitration process to be mandatory before divorce
- 95.6% wanted ex-husband to pay for children’s maintenance even if she holds their custody
- 87.9% felt activities of Dar-ul Qazas should be monitored by the state
- 83.3% believed codification of Muslim family law would help Muslim women get justice
What was meant to be a discourse about the viability of a uniform civil code in India and its relevance to promoting gender justice has become entangled in the political differences...