27 November, 2020

Shimla Beats The Thirst

Himachal Pradesh has set up a ­dedicated utility, Shimla Jal Prabandhan Nigam, to deal with water supply and sewerage services, which was ­earlier handled by different agencies and departments.

Drops Of Life
A water tanker in Shimla
Photograph by Getty Images
Shimla Beats The Thirst
outlookindia.com
2019-07-26T11:58:59+05:30

In 1817, a Himalayan ­explorer, Captain Alexander Gerard, came across a small village, Shimla, at the foothills of the Himalayas. Within 50 years, it became the ­summer capital of British India. Today, Shimla is spread across 5,131 sq km, 98 per cent of which is rural. The other 2 per cent is the city of Shimla. Pooja Sharma, a 32-year-old resident, has ­witnessed how the serene city became a concrete jungle with water problems. “When I was a child, two-storey houses was the norm,” she says. Now, there are multi-­storeyed buildings, and the city went through a water crisis between 2016 and 2018.

In 2016-17, jaundice due to contaminated water killed 10; the total number of those who fell ill was over 10,000. The Himachal Pradesh High Court intervened, and 10 ­people, including six officials of the irrigation and public health department and the contractor of a sewage plant, were arrested. “The ­incident jolted the government, and control of water supply, including pumping and distribution, was handed over to the Shimla Municipal...

unsub

THIS ARTICLE IS PRICELESS...

To read this piece, and more such stories in India's most exciting and exacting magazine, plus get access to our 25-year archives goldmine, please subscribe.


Latest Magazine

December 07, 2020
content

other articles from the issue

articles from the previous issue

Other magazine section