- Chairman Yellapragada Sudershan Rao ignores then member-secretary Gopinath Ravindran’s recommendation of 18 historians for new council, the HRD ministry approves an entirely new list of names
- Of the 18 council members, five are accommodated in the editorial board and 13 in the advisory committee of the journal Indian Historical Review. Historically, IHR advisory committee members are not members of council to retain objectivity and independence
- Most advisory committee members are RSS ideologues, not historians and few have credible publications
- The new chairman has been authorised to constitute committees at his own discretion
- While the former council had restricted the powers of the chairman in giving discretionary research grants, there is now a move to restore those powers
- Council members with no research experience now constitute the research projects committee of the...