It’s the Article in the Constitution that forms the sole bridge between Jammu and Kashmir and the Indian Union. Some facts:
- J&K is the only state that negotiated its membership with the Indian Union
- It was discussed for five months—from May to October 1949—between Jawaharlal Nehru and his aides and Sheikh Abdullah and his aides
- The draft agreed between the state and the Union was approved in October 1949 and adopted in the Constitution as Article 370
- The provision of Article 370 (1-C) stipulates that Article 1 of the Constitution—that lists the states of the Indian Union—applies to J&K through Article 370. Which means if Article 370 is removed, J&K becomes independent.
Kashmir And Article 370
From 1947 on, milestones of the dispute
- 1947 October The J&K maharaja accedes to the Indian Union in the wake of raids by armed tribesmen...